Updates and resources for emergency transition to online teaching
- Main COVID-19 update page – https://web.iastate.edu/safety/updates/covid19
- Event cancellations – https://web.iastate.edu/safety/updates/covid19/cancellations
- Research Continuity – https://www.research.iastate.edu/covid-19-research/
- Travel and Travel Restrictions – https://www.procurement.iastate.edu/travel
- Grad College – https://www.grad-college.iastate.edu/news/?tag=covid-19%20updates
- Guidance from Provost Office – https://www.provost.iastate.edu/about/guidance-for-academic-affairs-programs-in-response-to-covid-19
- CELT – https://www.celt.iastate.edu/teaching/preparing-to-teach/course-continuity/
- CELT hours are 8am-5pm with a virtual call center (515-294-5357)
- Canvas support through the Solution Center is 24/7 (515-294-4000, press 2, then 1; also chat support)
- Purdue – https://www.purdue.edu/innovativelearning/teaching-remotely/
- Indiana University Knowledge Base – https://kb.iu.edu/d/keep
- Going Online in a Hurry: What to Do and Where to Start – https://www.chronicle.com/article/Going-Online-in-a-Hurry-What/248207?utm_source=at&utm_medium=en&utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_1080814&cid=at&source=ams&sourceId=4634261
- Sociological Images has an archive of short, pop-culture focused sociology tagged by topic, free and open access – https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/
- The Library has lots of options for streaming video (check out Kanopy for documentaries) – https://www.lib.iastate.edu/research-tools/find/streaming-video
- The Social Breakdown podcast has an archive of episodes that might be relevant – https://www.thesocialbreakdown.com/episodes-list/
Online Teaching Tools & Notes
- If you try synchronous teaching (i.e., live stream lectures during scheduled class times), be sure to make a recording available for students who many not have reliable internet or accessibility.
- Canvas Conferences/Studio
- It is relatively easy to add discussions in Canvas and can be a way to maintain some interactive component. Also check out Canvas Conferences to facilitate live discussion that can be recorded for later viewing. Conferences has also been used successfully to hold virtual office hours.
- Collect assignments through Canvas if at all possible, with some flexibility for complications that may arise. Submission of assignments by email is not FERPA compliant.
- Credit Card Request Form
- Travel Authorization Form
- Travel Reimbursement Form
- Non Travel Reimbursement Form
- Textbook Order Form
- Grade Change Report
Need IT Help?