All Articles

Matthew DeLisi is named McNair Faculty Mentor of the Year

Matthew DeLisi, Distinguished Professor in Liberal Arts and Sciences and College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean’s Professor, has been named the 2020 McNair Faculty Mentor of the Year. DeLisi was nominated for the award by Taea Bonner (’20 criminal justice).

Bonner is part of Iowa State’s Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program, which seeks to prepare underrepresented and first-generation students for graduate school and the attainment of Ph.D. degrees. Bonner is grateful to DeLisi for helping her attain goals she thought were impossible.

“He has mentored me by helping me achieve things that most undergrads can’t say they’ve done, like publishing an article,” she said. “He impacted my research studies and college experience by teaching me how to love research. He has also impacted my personal life by teaching me that I have allies that do not look like me.”

Bonner will graduate with a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice this spring. She will begin pursuing a master’s degree in sociology this fall at Iowa State.

DeLisi is no stranger to award and accolades, but this honor is particularly meaningful to him.

“It is very rewarding because the nomination comes from the student, and because the McNair program provides opportunities for students from underrepresented groups,” he said. “As a first-generation college student myself, I know first-hand how important programs like this are for intellectual development and for gaining confidence in the university setting.”