Student Spotlight: Katie Stringer

Des Moines, IA
’19 sociology, global resource systems

Favorite quote: “I raise up my voice-not so I can shout but so that those without a voice can be heard.” ― Malala Yousafzai

A cause she’s passionate about: My academic coursework and experience with the Iowa Network Against Human Trafficking has led me to care deeply about women's advocacy. I am very interested in the role of women in sustainable international development and food security. I believe that women are an invisible resource that when acknowledged will play an enormous role in sustainable development.

Internship experience: For the entirety of the last school year, I was consulting coordinator to the Iowa Network Against Human Trafficking. This role required me to coordinate over 60 volunteers to train hotels and motels regarding the signs of sex trafficking. I also worked with local law enforcement and groups in the hospitality industry to gather support and funding for our project. I worked remotely throughout this internship and electronically corresponded with volunteers and hotel staff. This position gave me experience holding a great deal of responsibility and the ability to work independently, and further fueled my interest in women’s advocacy.