Student Spotlight: Katie Stringer

CATEGORIES: News

Des Moines, IA
’19 sociology, global resource systems

Favorite quote: “I raise up my voice-not so I can shout but so that those without a voice can be heard.” ― Malala Yousafzai

A cause she’s passionate about: My academic coursework and experience with the Iowa Network Against Human Trafficking has led me to care deeply about women’s advocacy. I am very interested in the role of women in sustainable international development and food security. I believe that women are an invisible resource that when acknowledged will play an enormous role in sustainable development.

Internship experience: For the entirety of the last school year, I was consulting coordinator to the Iowa Network Against Human Trafficking. This role required me to coordinate more than 60 volunteers to train hotels and motels regarding the signs of sex trafficking. I also worked with local law enforcement and groups in the hospitality industry to gather support and funding for our project. I worked remotely throughout this internship and electronically corresponded with volunteers and hotel staff. This position gave me experience holding a great deal of responsibility and the ability to work independently, and further fueled my interest in women’s advocacy.